View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #133
Icelander

Default South American Speculative Fiction Encounters in the Dreamlands

As every dreamer has their own Dreamlands, the PCs have been viewing a version of Lovecraft's Dreamlands filtered through the expectations, perceptions and imagination of not only Ms. Delvona, but also the casters and designers of the ritual they are using.

As a result, wampa-esque yeti and White Walker like Winter Court Fair Folk cavort next to Lovecraft canon creatures and such strange fauna as SM 0 to SM +2 tardigrades and copepods. And the shantaks appear very much like the reptilian mounts of the Ringwaiths in LotR. I still haven't gotten to feature ghouls, nightgaunts or the Men of Leng (who have appeared in dialogue, however), but rest assured I stand ready. For all the PCs know, there may even be Antarctic Space Nazis.

Now, ice spiders, wampas, LotR movie aesthetic and Antarctic Space Nazis are all plausible for the Dreamlands of a speculative fiction geek born in the 80s (I should know, I am one), but none of what I have currently featured really takes into account specific culture. Ms. Delvona was raised in South America, Chile to be specific. I'm sure she was exposed to a wide variety of Anglocentric fantasy, as I was, but what kind of speculative fiction might have been most popular in Chile (or South America more broadly) in the 1990s?

Whether local or foreign imports, what were the top movies and books on the South American market that featured fantastical beasts in the 90s?

If Ms. Delvona was a gamer, what systems did she come into contact with? Just D&D or maybe CoC, Vampire or others? Something I wouldn't have thought of?

What kind of fantastic creatures ought I add as an homage to something more popular in Latin America than elsewhere?