View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Best pre-made Dungeon

Second Barrow of the Forgotten King. The dungeon design has decent "ecosystem" with goblinoid tribe characters. There were two follow-on adventures published for 3E but they were all pretty forgettable and the connections between them were weak at best.

On a larger basis, you could also look into the 2nd Ed. DnD adventure Dragon Mountain, which has a much larger ecosystem of squabbling tribes (I think four in all) of kobolds fighting for the dragon's favor.

(There was a D&D adventure in the 1990s published - not for AD&D 2nd ed. - that featured a castle with three dragons lairing there at a state of truce, and a harpy named Haurua. I can't recall the name offhand but that one had a fairly decent potential for diplomacy play due to the warring factions. The dragons were a Black, a Green, and a Red, and the Green Dragon I recall would cast an illusion to create two illusory copies to fight alongside it.)

Castle Ravenloft is generally seen to be the ur-example of vampire lord dungeons. This has been brought back for pretty much all editions of DnD. The 2nd Ed. module From the Darkness had a counter-example dungeon of Azalin, a wizard enemy of Ravenloft's Strahd von Zarovich.

More recently, Raging Swan Press' "Against the Cult of the Bat God" is available for purchase in PDF format, and I read through it and liked it. It has a somewhat Lovecraftian tale of a village in decline in the fens, and a family's decaying manse with a dark cultist secret.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote