View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #49
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Elven Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
Possibly, although I would expect Tolkien to use 'household' in that sense. He was a stickler for distinctions like that.
An excellent point.

Quote:
He didn't actually mean that the character was a descendant of Inglor son of Finrod (after subsequent revisions Finrod son of Finarfin), a character who was at that stage of his conception in a separate work.
Heh. In any case, if we're using the Silmarillion as canon, Finrod doesn't have any descendants. Or, at least, none that he had before or during the Exile. Of course, he was re-embodied, so I suppose he could have married his Vanyar sweetheart, and had a kid or two, who later emmigrated.

Quote:
Let me tell you, the Názgűl were right to run from Glorfindel (in Tolkien's revised concept of him). This was an elf who had killed a balrog in hand to hand combat. He was killed in the process, it is true: but after a while he decided that being dead was a waste of time, resurrected himself, and walked back from the afterlife. This is not somebody that anyone takes lightly. Anyone short of Sauron himself says 'Aiee! It's Glorfindel!'
'Tis true. Frankly, I suspect that if Glorfindel had been at Moria with the Fellowship, it would have been the Balrog running, not the heros...
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote