View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #145
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
1 hex = 1.3333 meters; so about 4 feet. So roughly 108 feet if I did my math in my head correctly?
Oops, you're right. For some reason, I had in my head that a MH was 10 meters; it's actually four. 4 x 9 = 36 meters, A meter is about 3.28 feet. 36 x 3.28 = 118.08 feet, which is still an awfully long way to throw a weapon with enough oomph to cause major injury, and an awful long way to "aim" against a called-shot target with a thrown weapon... But, based on that, I'd recommend a range limitation of ST/2 then for thrown weapons -- it takes muscle to fling a thrown weapon with enough power to insure a wounding or killing hit. So our hypothetical 9 ST person could throw four or five MHs with any likelihood of actually doing a mischief to his opponent; which is still between 52.48 and 65.6 feet, which sounds about right to me...

However, that makes me reconsider the need for a change at all -- under the existing rule, my hypothetical 18 DX character can throw about 10 hexes (or 3 and one third megahexes) before his chances of actually making a hit drop below the point where it's actually worth while to do so -- meaning under the existing rules, he can throw about 42 feet with a reasonable expectation of getting a hit. While that's shorter than the MH distance under the more complex rule above, the above rule is considered in terms of distance and strength only, whereas the bottom rule could also be considered to account for the "flustering" effect of being in actual combat at the time the throw is made -- which would tend to shorten the range at which such an attack will be made. There's also the issue of time of flight of the weapon which we haven't addressed at all -- the longer the distance thrown, the longer the weapon spends in the air, and more likely the target will move, even if only inadvertently, thus rendering the attack a miss or a failure. Steve's existing rule also elegantly accounts for that variable by simply making it much less likely a long-distance throw will actually work; which accounts for the muscle required to make the throw, and the variables on time in flight and the target's likelihood of movement during that time.

Overall then, the more complex rule fails to make any material difference to the outcome, and may actually be less "realistic," and I withdraw my approval for the change; the existing Thrown Weapons rule is just fine. My apologies to Steve for doubting him! ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 01-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote