View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #143
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
There is another option I may have mentioned, which is perhaps even simpler, and something I've being toying with, but it does change the dynamic of tactical play.

Change absolutely nothing except this: instead of using experience points to increase attribute points, they are used to purchase "Hero Points."

These HP can be used during play to alter the results of dice rolls after the roll is made or to change the number of dice used before the roll is made.

Example1; you need to roll a 12 to hit and you roll 13 (normally a miss) but you spend 1HP to reduce the roll to a 12 and thus achieve the desired hit.

Example 2; you score a hit on the enemy but your 1d6 weapon is too light to do heavy damage. You spend 1HP to increase the damage to 2d6.

I've only recently started experimenting with this idea but so far it seems promising.

You could also allow some attribute increase if that's your preference, but more powerful characters will be tough because of more HP not higher attributes.
That system would require a lot of playtesting, I’d imagine. You’d also have to decide if HP are lost permanently when used or do they regenerate? It could be a very interesting and fun RPG...literally the extreme version of the resource management part of classic dungeon crawl games (that I always found engaging). But it would be a very different game and experience than TFT, I think.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote