View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
b-dog

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
That’s fine, but here is my advice for your future products (thinking about ‘Summoners’, and its mandatory summoned creatures section): it’d be nice if – every now and then in the text - there were bits that hinted to the fact that the game is actually being played and enjoyed by the authors. This was achieved in the Creatures of the Night series, and in DF2 (monsters section) and DF6. Most of the times, though, it seems to me that gurps products are just the play-tested result of meticulous research and game tinkering (especially in the character building part of it) by professional designers.
That is good, of course, but eventually makes the product somewhat less interesting to me (such is the case for DF Clerics). In short, I’d favour a little more colour and personality over completeness and predictable genericness (fire-infused priest of fire along with his fiery holy ally…).
Well, maybe I'm talking about worked examples, too...
I will agree with you here. DF6 was an interesting read for me because it had flavour and style to make me imagine cool things to do in a campaign. DF Clerics is a very good book but it never really inspired me; it gave me some templates to run different type of clerics which is useful rather than captivating.

I think that the problem is that Dungeon Fantasy as a genre is mostly flavor and fluff. People play fantasy because they love to let their imagination loose and less so because they want to simulate realistic combat with mythical monsters. That is why D&D is the most popular RPG ever; the rules are not very good but the whole background fluff is really interesting. I think the trouble with GURPS is the fact that the writers of DF think of it as a silly genre as opposed to Gygax who truly loved it. And I can see the difference when I read the Basic Roleplaying System version of Dungeon Fantasy called Classic Fantasy; the writer of this book really loved the genre and put in interesting descriptions of the non human races, spells and so forth.

Last edited by b-dog; 11-08-2009 at 08:43 AM.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote