View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #38
Darklim

Default Re: What's your advice on how to hand out experience points?

I'm kinda sorta jumping in, but I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned John Wicked's "Playing dirty". He had a whole article talking about experience points, and how to handle them. One of his technique, directly appliable to GURPS, is the reward-by-proxy: giving a single point to each character, and tell them that they can award it to anybody, except themselves.

Also, I have a personal technique (tried it, loved it, sticked to it), but it can only works easily for GURPS or other points-heavy systems: giving a flat amount of points per session for the characters to spend, and then "giving" each of them from 1 to 6 points regarding to their participation. The trick is, they never actually get to spend said points. Worse: they don't ever know how many they won. But sometimes, during the game, they'll discover some strange abilities lying within them. Or get the occasion to make stronger bonds with a Contact, propelling him to the rank of Ally. Or save a cyberdoc's life, and get an amazing discount of 100% on a cyberlimb. See where I'm getting at?

Well this only works, of course, with players willing to wholly entrust you with their characters, and never question what you do.
Darklim is offline   Reply With Quote