View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #42
BraselC5048

Default Re: [MA] Silent Sentry Removal

And something I was envisioning that would work well is a Very Fine small knife to the brainstem. Not a hit location in GURPS, but perhaps it could be, only from behind and against an unaware target. A knife going in there means instant kill, and I doubt there would be any scream, since he's already dead. Of course, it would require high skill, but Night Vision, Telegraphic Attack and of course AoA and buying off hit location can make it possible at high skill.

Perhaps treat as a skull hit at an additional -8? to hit, from the back only (for -13, (from MA the skull is only -5 from the back) hit location techniques against the skull do count, so somebody with that bought up to the max would be rolling at -9, plus AoA and Telegraphic Attack for a net -1). Only works against unaware targets. Probably combined with some sort of leg sweep a split second later to knock his feet forward so he falls back, while you get the knife out and lower him to the ground. Hopeflully him weapon lands on him, or at least in the grass. Perhaps a Judo roll at -4 ish? Or a Karate roll, if your style specifically teaches this particular thing.

Incidentally, this is where the character with Thrown Weapon (knife) at sky high levels with hit location bought off can come in handy. Completely silent. Do AoA (Strong), with Extra Effort (strong), target the skull, and if you play that wounding modifiers multiply together (Which I did since I thought that's how RAW works, and still do as a result), and the Very Fine throwing knife from even a ST 11 guy will be doing 1d+5 damage, or 1d+3 after the skull's DR. That would make minimum damage (what matters here) is 4 x 4 x 2 =32 damage. Knockdown and stunning would be at something like -10+, and even minimum damage will likely involve at least one death check. Of course, that's assuming you can reliably hit the skull at night anyway.

Also, I figure one way to kill someone silently and without any jerking if they're asleep is a knife straight back though the eye to the midbrain. Instant kill. Of course, that's under "unconscious or helpless character attacked in obviously lethal way" rule. Possibly without waking somebody sleeping next to them?

Also, am I the only one who thinks a -5 silencer on a plain already subsonic pistol is actually more effective than silent ammunition, the -5 to hear more than making up for using the 16 yard line on High Tech's hearing distance table, particularly the closer you are.

Really, what makes sneaking get far harder from roughly the 1980's on is the recording security camera. Even if nobody notices you at the time, they can still go back and see the footage, and of course you'll be visible there, at least to some extent.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote