View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
mlangsdorf

Default Re: [Cutting-Edge Armor Design] Real World SCA-legal Armour and Ballistics Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
We've got price information on Solid trauma plates made from this material. Slightly less than 1 square foot with DR 23-30, depending on the validity of the testing, seems to cost $100-$200, depending on specifics.
Right. DR 25 for 5.5 lbs at $110 for a solid plate works out to a CM of $20.

Cost = Weight x CM x CC.
CM = Cost / (Weight x CC). CC is 1 for solid, so $110/5.5 = $20.

Weight = SA x WM x CW x DR.
WM = Weight / (SA x CW x DR). CW is 1 for solid, and a 10x12" is 5/6 sqft, so 5.5 / (5/6 * 25) goes to 6 * 5.5 / 5 / 25 goes to 6.6 / 25 or 0.264. I'd originally calculated from DR 23 and got something closer to 0.3.

As far as working metals with absurdly high Brinell numbers, I assume you would work the metal while it's a lot softer and then case-harden the final form. You can (and people traditionally did) case-harden fire arm components, because you want to do the precision machining on low carbon alloys but have high carbon alloys for wear resistance in the final gun. If you can case-harden a revolver frame, you can case-harden a breastplate (though I am not a metallurgist and have only the vaguest idea of how you would do it).

I also suspect that armor like this is one of those things that is really expensive to buy one-off, but only moderately expensive to buy in lots of 100+. What your cartel would want to do is make a prototype or three out of low carbon steel, come up with a fake movie production company or similar cover story, and then have the cover company solicit bids for 100+ copies of the suit made from the proper materials. The companies who already have equipment to make metal in weird shapes and at high hardness levels will get back to you with a hopefully cost-effective solution.

Of course, if you can't afford 100 suits, you may be in a situation where can't afford to buy 10 suits, either, because you have to hand-make each one at great expense.