View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Generate a Space Trader Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Answer: FTL is capable of huge jumps at a time, but the more you take in distance, the more you loose in accuracy -- you can cross the galaxy in five jumps, but once you're there it takes five MORE jumps to actually get close to your target. Each jump takes quite a bit of time
I've been wondering how this would work exactly- in-universe and rolling the dice.

So, to be clear, you're saying that a jump of say 20,000 ly (1/5th of the way across the galaxy) might have a "deviation bubble" of being maybe 40% off course, then closing in on your destination involves some 1,000 ly jumps which are off by 30%, 100 ly jumps off by 20%, then 10 ly jumps off by 10%? Hopefully you can see I'm using the exponent as the lead digit in the percentage, to get a narrowing-in effect.
  1. Are those numbers too harsh?
  2. How would Navigation rolls, time spent plotting courses on the nav-comp, quality bonuses for good equipment and star charts or high quality engines affect the jumps?
  3. Do longer jumps also use more fuel, energy, or other expendables (hyperspace ablative shielding, perhaps)?
  4. Why does each jump take time- is it plotting navigation, charging the capacitors or shaping a hole through space-time? Does the prep time depend on distance?
  5. Are longer jumps possible with any starship, or only long range classes? In Spaceships shipbuilding, you could say each extra drive module sends you x10 distance: 1 drive- 10 ly; 2- 100 ly; 3- 1000 ly...
  6. Would you be able to work in the Speed/Range table?
  7. What effect does this lead to for free traders? Most would prefer reliable short-range hops, but they would go further for more lucrative markets, maybe.

I'm asking ericthered because it was his idea, but anyone can answer.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote