Old 01-15-2023, 05:49 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Default Re: January 14, 2023: AI Art In Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
that post reminded me this.
https://www.history.com/news/industr...ddites-workers
Didn't end well for them
Last I heard, the Luddites appear, on close examination, to have been engaged in a ... robust ... form of wage negotiation, rather than having a reflexive aversion to new ideas. Which may of course also be how the AI art issue shakes out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I have mixed feelings.
Me too. Consider me to be seconding everything in Celjabba's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babipoki View Post
AI art must never make any profits*.
That's a rather broad declaration. We could just start with the question of whether the AI programmers deserve remuneration, and the possibility of a system that remunerates the artists that the AI uses as seed stock.

Quote:
I'm an illustrator, but I still use AI to generate me some inspiration.
So you're using AI art, and presumably hoping to make a profit from the work?

Quote:
I support advanacement of AI art, but a line must be clear, and any AI-generated artwork must always be obvious that it was AI generated, without looking at the tags.
That sounds like a futile demand, given that the whole point of much of the work on AI image generation is to produce images that look naturalistic or like the work of a human artist. In fact, I'd say that you've already lost that one.

("We demand that nobody ever fixes the seven-fingered hands problem!"?)

Quote:
(re. images for games) It is unethical to use AI for it...
"Unethical"? Really? Why? Nobody is taking bread out of the mouths of artists, or claiming accomplishments that are not their own. Long before AI art came along, I was using images off the Web on my character sheets. The assorted Renaissance painters, Hollywood publicity shot photographers, and Victorian family portrait studios whose work I borrowed suffered no loss thereby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc View Post
One impractical answer would be for AI art generation to have their source images more sensibly curated.
Shutterstock actually seem to be making a constructive stab at this. They're developing an image generator (working with LG and the people behind DALL-E), and say that part of the project involves developing a system for rewarding the artists whose work is fed into the engine. If that's built into the AI from the start, I can see it should be possible to make it work.

Of course, this will restrict the AI's points of reference to artists who Shutterstock can locate and remunerate (plus, hopefully, public domain stuff) - mostly Shutterstock's own library, I guess. And how well each artist will be paid remains to be seen. But it's a start.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote