View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 03:46 AM   #7
Babipoki

Default Re: January 14, 2023: AI Art In Gaming

AI art must never make any profits*. I'm an illustrator, but I still use AI to generate me some inspiration.

One exception I may have is that the AI image is obviously labeled as AI generated.

AI can't create art, it is trained off other artists' directly, with no 'creative' process involved. It's very different from argument that all human artists use references. We can look at a reference and have our own thought process about it. AI sees a 'reference' and tries to reproduce it, with data set from millions of artists.

I support advanacement of AI art, but a line must be clear, and any AI-generated artwork must always be obvious that it was AI generated, without looking at the tags.

Also fully understand using AI for making NPCs for your campaigns. We need to create hundreds of NPCs and commissioning 100 artists or 100 artworks is probably out of most people's budgets, especially when running free games. Even $5 a session wouldn't cut it, artists must be paid fairly, so at least $100 - coming up to $100 x 100, $10,000. It is unethical to use AI for it, but whether it's legal or illegal is still a big question - can someone's style be copyrighted? It's an issue at the court of law to be argued about. Just don't make profits off it outside of your campaign group, and you should hopefully be fine.
Babipoki is offline   Reply With Quote