View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #24
Tywyll

Default Re: YOU'RE the GM: the last chance archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
You can, once, with the "On-Last-Shot Missile Attack" option. It comes after pole weapon charges. The wording on ITL 111 is quite clear that these pole weapon attacks are resolved before all other attacks in that particular melee. Further, the description of last-shot missile attacks in no way implies that the archer would attack out of DX order, never mind acting before a pole weapon charge.

Consider this situation in which there are no pole weapons: a Bowman ST 11 DX 13 is disengaged in a larger battle. A Friendly Swordsman ST 12 DX 12 is engaged with an Enemy (rapier) ST 9 DX 14. The Bowman wants to support the Friendly Swordsman by loosing an arrow at the Enemy. The Enemy's DX is higher, and acts first, killing the Friendly Sworsdman. The Bowman shoots and misses. Next turn, the Enemy charge attacks the Bowman, who selects the One-Last-Shot missile attack. Why would the Bowman suddenly now act before the Enemy?
Because arrows hit before the attacker arrives?

The alternative is that archers get to fire after the person running at them arrives and (potentially) kills them. So do we have zombie archers?

Ultimately I guess this is a situation where the rule nature (movement then combat) doesn't adequately describe something that logically occurs. I'm fine with ignoring what is written in this case for something that makes more sense in the fiction. I think its a poorly written rule to not allow it RAW.

Last edited by Tywyll; 06-20-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote