Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #107
Rick_Smith

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
It's important to understand that the clarification I asked for earlier and Guy's current suggestion make a distinction between talent costs and the number of talents a character can have. The Ranger Prince has 16 talents that cost 24 talent points, which is entirely possible for a TFT character under Guy's suggestion.

With attributes / 2 as the limit, characters can have between 16 and 20 talents. They still have to pay for them at the normal costs but they can keep spending XP on them even after they reach the 40-point limit, so the Ranger Prince can eventually get all of the listed talents by paying the 24 required talent points and he'll still have 4 more talent slots available.
Hi Zot, Guy, everyone.
Thanks Zot for the clarification! Yes, I somehow missed what Guy was saying about slots and points. (When I reread his post, it was quite clear.)

However, Steve did not seem pleased by the idea of memory equals to (ST + DX + IQ)/2 so I don't think that will fly. However, if we use Guy's idea that series of talents go into the same slot, the Ranger / Prince would save 1 extra memory because the points put into Tactics and Strategy would save a slot.

But Guy's points / slot idea still means that expensive talents become proportionally more valuable than 'small' talents like Horsemanship, Seamanship, Driving, Climbing, etc.

But using Guy's rules (but not using the mIQ = [total attr.]/2), the Ranger Prince could be created by creating a character with ST 11, DX 14, IQ 15. (Ignoring points, the character needs 16 slots, but less one for the Tactics / Strategist saving. Further the character could eventually pick up Expert Naturalist as a bonus.)

So Guy's rules actually addresses my major concern.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote