View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Tomsdad

Default Re: Low Tech – How to play a frontal clash between two phalanxes (Hoplites, Shield Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post

1) I agree. Both the perks seem an obligate choice for trained soldiers.
yep

Quote:
2) Could Defensive Attack be combined with pushing?
I don't see why not, I do it under shoves with weapons (MApg112), and as I said I'd consider a levelled perk that allowed more than one rank to add their teamwork bonus to shoves (if everyone in line was shoving)

In fact given there's a push kick technique that's basically a shove, I'd also probably consider a shield based shove technique as well, that would probably be well suited to Hoplites.

Quote:
3) Regarding Long Spear and Reversed Grip, is clear that a Long Spear can be used in this way (even the two-handed kontos was often used overarm), even if Martial Arts rules say that a Reach 3 weapon couldn't be used overarm because it would be awkward.
I pretty much agree, I think l'd just say you use it overarm but not give the benefit or negatives of doing so i.e no extra Thr damage, no reduction in reach

Quote:
4) The last question is: the role of shortswords and axes, and if they're a good choice for the first rank even if they haven't broken their spears. Axes can be used to hook enemy shields, so basically the front ranks hook and the rear rank stab, while long knifes (historical shortswords) can be used in close combat, but I don't know how much those tactics make sense, both in game and in a real context.
I think axes will end up at slight disadvantages as Swung reach 1 weapons (I think you'll risk ending up in C reach alot) So nice thrusting C or C,1 weapons will be better.

Problem with hooking hoplite shields here is not only is Hook hard (default skill-5 and then another -2 for a DB2 shield) they're likely to be strapped which means you are a disadvantage in the QC for the effect even if you hit.

And of course they can defend against the initial hook (and so can their mates with shield wall perk on either side). However the attacking weapons rules are bit odd here as you can parry an attempt to attack you weapon but you can't block and attempt to attack you shield. I'd probably allow shields to try and block a hook attempt on it. But then Hook is hard enough as it is not sure it needs any more disincentive

(EDIT I should say hook and disarm doesn't come a lot in my games so I may be getting some of this wrong)

a quick point if both front ranks end up in Close Combat their shields are going to stat causing issues for them, I might consider a perk that allows you buy off a bit of the shield in CC penalty.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote