View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #40
VariousRen

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Layering Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
One thing which is always overlooked is a reaction penalty when wearing armor when it is not logical to wear it. Not penalizing wearing armor in any way results in wearing it all the time.
Yeah, and that's something I intend to keep a very close eye on in the game. Our first session had the heavily armed ex-military bodyguard of the group forced to stay behind at a security checkpoint, just because his arms and armours were extreme compared to what most people use. Nothing ended up happening, but something went wrong he would have been a long way from the rest of the group. If he had been dressing more casually (just a single layer of armour under clothing, a pistol rather than a rifle, ect) he could been by their side the whole time.

Another thing I've been stressing is the legality class of different weapons and armour. In Vilani space even normal civilian weapons like pistols and hunting rifles (LC 3) are carefully controlled and require permits (which are a pain to get, and may be difficult if the PC's turn to a life of crime). In Terran space you can get police level equipment (LC 2) with a permit, and civilian gear is available without very many restrictions at all. The same goes for armour, with the more advanced armours being limited to either the police (Tac-suits) or active military (Combat hardsuits).

It's worked well so far, with most players limiting themselves to a few choice weapons they have registered on a bunch of different planets. Pistols and vibro-knives have been popular choices, since they can carry them most places in Terran space and can be registered in Villani space if they want to. The ex-military bodyguard has a blanket permit in Terran space (represented by a level of security clearance), and the free access to police gear makes him seriously dangerous compared to everyone else.