View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #251
Gollum

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
Sam's cooking in Ithilien attracted the attention of Faramir's troops, which in the end had a major effect on the War of the Ring. These "unintented consequences" are one of Professor T's strong points, whatever his other faults as a writer. Certainly Sam is one of the great understated heroes.
Yes, of course... But what Sams exactly cooked and how he exactly did it is not described in detail (as far as I can remember)...

Now, that's not a all a problem. J.R.R. Tolkien remains one of the greatest author I've ever read, because it all depends on the subject of the story. In an adventure full of combats, mysteries and dangers, describing how heroes makes everyone of their lunch in full detail would just be boring! But in a story where the heroes are cooks and where the main goal is winning a master chief competition, thinks become very different.

And what is true for stories is also true for roleplaying games.

In most adventures, one roll is sufficient for making the lunch. And only if there is a challenge! With no challenge, it is just an ordinary non-adventuring task that a character with the default skill will succeed as well as an expert cook: no roll required.

Now, in a cooking competition thinks become different too. Rules have been to me more precise and more dice rolls are required... And this is precisely here than DX-based Cooking rolls or even 10-based Cooking roll can have a huge importance...

They will make a big difference between an IQ 20 doing things with the default skill and experts with thousands hours of training.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote