View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Leech (Steal Attribute) vs. Affliction (Attribute Penalty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
My confusion / question is: why do the rules specifically ban any use of Cosmic to remove the resistance roll for an Affliction that is doing, by default, potentially less than Leech which allows no resistance roll? Affliction can certainly smack you all at once with a big attribute penalty whereas Leech only steals one attribute point per second of contact, but Leech's time for attribute recovery (FP recovery time per point) kind of makes up for that.

Leech also treats the penalty differently, more like a form of damage (hence the recovery over time), but that's another story.

What makes removing the resistance roll for an Affliction that inflicts an Attribute Penalty so horrible considering that Leech only requires physical contact?
"Expectation of Adversarial Play", "Player Empowerment" and "A Desire For Characters To Always Have Some Form Of Defense". Tis a design philosophy (and one that produces silly results sometimes).

(Cosmic, No Resistance Check, +300%)* is what I use to remove the target's ability to resist an Affliction, priced in comparison to the other defense breakers. I combine it with (Fixed Duration, +0%) for a MOS of 3** or (Cosmic, No Roll Required, +100%) for a MOS of (as if attacking character rolled a 3)*** typically.
* Not RAW, ** RAW, *** Also RAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What would that represent?
It'd be better to just apply the Ranged modifier to Leech to get this effect (can defend with active defense, doesn't check resistance), rather than Ranged + Malediction + No Resistance Check + Can Defend With Active Defense modifiers. The second set of modifiers is complexity for the sake of complexity.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote