View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #58
Poulpax

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

It's quite fun to come back here a few years later.

As of now, I'm preparing my fourth Gurps Birthright campaign, set in the Khinasi lands.

The Brecht campaign was a blast, even though the Gurps 4e rules can be a bit cumbersome when it comes to big fights. I'll go for a streamlined combat system, and few magic.

The party was :
- A Vos blooded wizardess, with a lot of background history and some serious bad blood with Vos snow witches.
- Another Vos, banished and left for dead on the Berhagen border, raised by Kirche knights. A very interesting character, with typical vos moody character and a kind of idealistic knighthood approach. Sadly, the player had to leave the campaign before the end.
- A Brecht thief/priest (guess which deity ;) ), a blooded scion, self-styled baron and pirate.
- An Anuirean noble, cast off his lands after slaying an assassin sent upon his parents. Unfortunately, the would-be killer was Azrai-blooded and the young man stabbed him in the heart, the corrupt bloodline mingling with his own. After a very hard fought encounter with a minor awnshegh, his bloodline score went up and his skin took on a scaly hue. Was on his way to becoming "La Vouivre", or the Wyvern, if you like.
- A Khinasi sun priest, from a brecht theocratic domain, following a prophecy about dragons, blood and various stuff.

All these characters were created using regular Gurps rules, with tweaks for priestly and wizardly magic. You don't really need to prepare for all contingencies : talk with your players, develop the characters and THEN tackle the rules. You won't need a lot of work...

As a rule, I usually stick very closely with the background and loosely to the actual wording of the rules : Gurps rules are meant to serve the Birthright universe, not the other way around.

See you next time, I hope it will be soon ;)
Poulpax is offline   Reply With Quote