View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
tHEhERETIC

Default In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Starting a new chapter, which will begin as soon as the old one winds down to where I can start without continuity problems.

In Nomine: The Pacific War is accepting players at this time. Mile Higher Club characters are accepted as-is, with a few CP on the way when that ends. New characters' mechanics are below.
Angels welcome. Soldiers of Heaven are also welcome. Renegade demons are welcome, though expect the natural in-character friction there. Outcasts or remnants could work too, though like Ethereals they have serious limitations. I guess the only thing I'm ruling out here are loyal demons.
Servitors of any Superior are welcome, though if there are more than one of the same the newer character will need the blessing of the senior's player.
'Extreme' and colorful concepts are encouraged--uptight Dominican, flighty Creationer, etc. Malakim are okay, depending on their particular oaths and how strict their definition of 'evil'.

“Guest stars” for various NPC's are kind of nice too--take a look at the characters page (in progress) and drop me a PM.

Character creation i.e. points and other crunchiness is now highlighted in red below. Please make sure to read the whole post--this is to clarify what I expect, not to leave the impression that the rest is filler.

Game: In Nomine
Setting: modern day Los Angeles, San Francisco, possibly Tokyo, Busan, and Oahu.
Books needed: IN Core (though if you're quick-witted and willing to ask questions you could almost function without it)
Books suggested: GM's guide, Superiors 1 and 3 books, Corporeal Players Guide, Revelations 4: Fall of the Malakim, Ethereal Players Guide, Authentic Thaumaturgy.
House rules: For the PbP there will be few challenges and thus no immediate need to send a character sheet anywhere. I will accept three posts from any one character before I get fussy about seeing your stats.
I don't have canon memorized and I don't expect anyone else to. Have fun. If I'm way off base on a game mechanic I don't mind if you call me on it, but please don't nit pick. Lawyers go to Hell :D

Contact me at theheretik at earthlink dot net, please be certain to put "In Nomine" somewhere in your subject line. You may also post in my LiveJournal community In Nomine Live
A live/chat game component will run when/if time zones allow. (GM lives in Korea.)

Stats and mechanics: Angels, renegades, soldiers, jump right in. Anything more exotic, do run by me first. Characteristics should be base character levels, skills up to 12 points, songs/distinctions/non-innate attunements no more than three total. Relics, artifacts and the like should be run past me first. No Celestial weapons please. In addition, take one average Role. Celestials may not take attunements that are specific to other bands/choirs, i.e. all band/choir attunements are Restricted for my games, with very rare exceptions. SJG has a lovely dice roller http://www.sjgames.com/dice/ , and I usually keep 4d13 (aka a deck of cards) by my desk for randomizing. A Tarot deck for when I'm feeling creative.

Tone, influence, etc.
My background is primarily in LARP, so expect a game to focus on interaction between player characters. Hack and slash will not be tolerated--if I wanted to play an MMO I wouldn't be here. Humor is welcome, charm is wonderful, and dark humor is good. Drama among characters is welcome. If you want to see an excellent example of that, pick up Alfred Hitchcock's "The Lifeboat".
Other movies/books that influence me in things like this:
The Prophecy, at least the first three of them.
Supernatural, the television show on the CW
currently watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand. The setting's wrong but the plotting's about right.
Brimstone, a show back in 1998 with John Glover as the Devil.
other movies: Hellraiser, Suicide Kings, Devil's Advocate, Constantine,
Death Note and Death Note:The Last Name (Japanese with English subtitles--in US theatres August and October '08 in English dub, soon to be available dubbed on DVD).
works of Ambrose Bierce, Ray Bradbury, and Neil Gaiman
Thelema and other works of Aleister Crowley
music of Gary Numan and VNV Nation, and gothic music in general
and Big & Rich, to give it all levity

Opening premise: Heaven and Hell have both kept secrets from each other--I suppose you'd call that mere war tactics. But Heaven's new ace has a lead on Hell's new gambit, and Los Angeles is once again up for grabs. Can Hell hold the city? Can Heaven take it without greater losses elsewhere? And are there three sides to this war?

Master links: Angelfire main page (work in progress)