View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #68
ravenfish

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRunner
Commuting by car may be a "routine" task for someone who knows how to drive, but for someone who has no training or experience operating a vehicle beyond seeing other people drive, and is therefore operating on default, having to do so much as pull out of a non-straight driveway backwards is certainly not "routine," and actually commuting is not an unstressful situation by any stretch of the imagination! I am therefore disinclined to believe that someone operating on default is entitled to that +4 routine bonus, but I would give it to a commuter with as little as 1 point in that skill.

The same could be true of a lot of skills. The first time you go to a range, shooting is not routine, but it is once you get the idea, which then gives you +4 in addition to whatever skill you pick up. That's why people can reliably hit a torso-sized target at 100 yards at a firing range after less than 5 hours of instruction, and still be completely useless at that range, or much lower ranges, in a stressful situation, even if they do manage to take the same amount of time to brace and aim, which they probably will not.
I might be inclined to be a bit more lenient there. For one thing, five hours on the shooting range is really a good deal less than the 200 hours that are supposed to correlate with 1 CP. I'd say that yes, the first time you try something easy, you don't get +4, but you get that bonus well before you have enough training to claim a skill point.
Your shooting example would seem to me to cut both ways, as it were. From what you describe, the shooter is becoming competent at 'easy' tasks while still being incompetent under stress (no +4 bonus!).

EDIT: Hmmm, we seem to be getting a bit away from 'Roleplaying in General' and towards 'GURPS'. Maybe we should discuss this elsewhere?
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote