View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
Tomsdad

Default Re: Managing combat rounds...

If the players are doing longer than 1 second actions I tend to expect them to help me keep track of those action's progress. Similarly with player waits that might interrupt the ongoing action.

Don't get me wrong they tell me what they're doing and if there's a interpretation issue we address it (Although trying not to take too much time doing so). Now "addressing it" is usually me deciding how it shakes out but obviously if I've forgotten something or failed to take something into account the players will say "hang on what abut X".

If it gets hectic tend to use hex mapping (acetate overlay over quick drawing) and facing etc because I find that inherently records information as you go along, I.e you don't need to remember what facing you are if it right in front of you.

I don't uses an excel spreadsheet for initiative and turns simply because I can't type that fast, but I do use a sheet of paper to keep track.

I do use a excel spread sheet for working out grappling control and referred control when using TG though.

I'm a big fan of counters for tracking combat resources. I use different coloured ones for AP and FP and occasionally HP*.

*I have occasionally kept HP loss semi-hidden from players and kept track fo HP myself but obviously that's more work for me!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote