View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #29
hal

Default Re: TL4 to TL5 Cannons and Carronades

Quoted from page 85:

The large 32 pounder guns are very powerful. Using a full charge of about 11lb (5kg) of gunpowder, i.e., 1/3 the weight of the shot being fired, the muzzle velocity (MV) of these guns firing a single 32 lb (14.4kg) round shot is between 1500ft and 1,600ft per second (487 m/sec). Because these velocities equate to between 1,023mph and 1,091mph (between 1646m/h and 1,755km/h), consequently the projectiles fired from smooth-bored muzzle-loading guns are supersonic.

It goes on to explain that the 32 lb shot could, at those velocities, pass through 3 feet of oak (.9 meters) or 6 feet of pine. Note that this is at POINT BLANK range, not extended.

Elsewhere regarding damage from Carronades and Long guns page 86 thru 87

In comparison to the standard long guns, the carronades have a considerably lower MV. However, firing a proportionately heavier shot at a lower velocity, these guns have the advantage of creating greater damage at short range as the shot will 'churn' rather than punch its way through timber. Attempting to effect a watertight hull repair to this kind of damage is far more difficult than stopping up a clean hole produced by the standard guns.

This is one of the most enjoyable books in my collection of books where it comes to Age of Sail (Napoleon and Nelson) era ships. I cannot recommend enough this particular book, despite the fact that it is only 178 pages (seemingly a thin book!).

ISBN: 978 0 85733 085 7

The information contained within this book is staggering in the kind of detail that you get from it - all pertaining to the HMS VICTORY with plenty of pictures and illustrations. Need the diameter of the breeching rope for a 32 pounder cannon? 7" thick and 28ft 6in in length

Want a deck schematic? Look on page 77. Want stats on the ship's boats? Yup, it has it. :)

I gave you a taste of what was in the book by showing you the carronade and one of the guns. There are more - right down to the carriage weights and everything else.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote