View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
tbeard1999

Default Re: Making Maps: Showing off and getting help

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Thermopylae, although landscape has changed in 2400 years.
Many of the old SPI quadrigames have maps that are roughly the same scale as GEV (roughly 1-2 Miles per hex): Modern Battles Quad I and II; NATO Division Commander; North Africa Quad; Westwall Quad; Island War Quad; Berlin ‘85 (for a REAL city fight); Wacht Am Rhine (Battle of the Bulge); Westwall Quad; and Battles for the Ardennes Quad.

Games like the Napoleon at War quads are at a nominally lower scale (1 hex equals about 500m), but the maps look about right for GEV.

Other SPI games with different scales but still good GEV-style maps - Cobra, Army Group South Quad, and the Central Front series (particularly BAOR).

Oh and Hell’s Highway by Victory Games for a constricted Market-Garden style operation.

The main issue with translating these games is that they usually have more types of rough terrain. I suggest interpreting the maps by treating the lowest level of rough terrain as clear and the other layers as woods. I’d also probably ignore towns but treat cities as GEV towns. If that produces too open a map, convert all rough terrain to woods, swamps or towns as appropriate.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 02-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote