View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Supercavitating OGRE Weapons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I actually like either version.

As you say, KISS is probably the best (the mine must be on the center hex of the bridge to drop it); but the enter from the bridge side idea is a cool middle ground. For option B, would it only drop the bridge, or would the road be cut in the adjoining hex (i.e., the hex where the mine is placed), too?
That's a good question.

Because we're not distinguishing between 'mines on a road' and 'mines on a bridge', that lends itself to saying "yes, the bridge blowing up is in addition to the other effects, not in place of them".

Conceptually, I'm struggling with how that makes sense for a Y-shaped road...if a road goes through hexsides 1, 3, an 5, does it make sense for blowing a bridge through hexside 5 to affect units entering via 1 and leaving via 3?

In terms of Design Philosophy, is addressing the conceptual issue going to result in something too granular for the space Ogre sits in? Nothing else that cuts a road, even spillover fire, distinguishes between the branches of roads that are more than 'one hex in, one hex out'...so gut instinct is yes, that's too granular.

As I now sit here trying to figure out what I was thinking when I was writing a post at almost 2am...I think that ultimately either way is a viable answer, but in terms of keeping the rules consistent, am leaning towards "Yes. The unit hit a mine on the road while entering the hex using the road. That's independent of the bridge clause."
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote