View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #22
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: BEACH Overlays/Hexes/Tiles

2.01.10 Marsh. "A Marsh hex is filled with low lying vegetation and considered to be a Water hex (2.01.6) for movement purposes with no movement bonus and a Swamp hex (2.01.5) for disable rolls. For transitioning purposes only into or out of Marsh, it is considered Beach (2.01.9)."

Making it a Water hex instead of a Swamp hex for movement may be more interesting because it cost 1 to move into water and 2 to move into Swamp. It makes Marsh a much less dense form of Swamp, which is actually what one is. As a generalization and description of what Marsh is in OGRE, Swamp has trees and Marsh does not.

This may be something to consider.

Also, while I agree we should strive to word the Marsh rules as a stand alone rule not requiring any references to other rules like Beach, I don't agree doing so in any way should disqualify the Marsh Terrain as something that should not exist or that doing so is setting someone else up to "fall" for using rules this way. That sounds vindictive and not at all my intent in presenting and iterating the Marsh concept.
The Official Terrain rules are replete with examples mentioning other Terrain types to explain properties of a specific Terrain type. Not exactly the same thing of course, but there it is.

In my phrasing when using the Beach rule and then stating it is used "For transitioning purposes only", makes it clear and concise. Of course, maybe I'm missing something and other implications.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 02-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote