View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
tomc

Default Re: New version of OgreMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
He's probably just using .NET's built-in object serialization code. Each hex is probably an instantiated object of the same type, so that multiplies out the overhead significantly. Sure it's not efficient, at all. But it's literally one line of code, that doesn't have to change even when you add new features to the program.

Memory, bandwidth, and HD space are cheap. Developer time and mindspace is expensive. And premature optimization is the root of all evil. :)
Exactly right on all points. Developer time is the scarce resource. Also, Dot Net isn't the best choice for graphics applications, but it's what I'm most familiar with and gave me the best chance to release something before life intervened again. (It worked!)

Offsides - you make a number of good points though. The next version won't require you to make a map before you load an existing one. I made OgreMap the default application (on my PC) to open .om2 files, so just double clicked the map file to start the program and automatically load the map, so I kinda forgot about the other scenario.

I expect your Wine problems are also related to the Binary Serializer in Dot Net. I don't Linux or WINE, but I'll see if there are any reasonable accommodations I can make.

Thanks for everyone's interest and feedback. Now go make some scenarios for me to play! :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium

Last edited by tomc; 09-30-2016 at 08:42 PM.
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote