View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #44
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Segmented Plate - Pyramid Low Tech II what am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Agreed. I certainly didnt want to give the impression I don't like this system. I've even tinkered with adding AtE specific materials (steel belted radials, road signs, rebar and concrete, things like that), which is much easier to do in this system. Even if, as is likely, I have these all wrong, they fit into the current materials nicely, which makes for a better game.
David's system is best because it handles all the materials form TL0 and up. As you point out, that makes adding new materials very simple.

Quote:
(can't do proper plate when cutting up stop signs or old tires!)
Forming a sheet of metal into plate armor is actually quite easy (it's quicker than mail, and arguably requires less artistry than leathermaking). I've made several pieces of plate armor from sheet metal and all you need is a pattern to work from, something to cut the sheet, and either a stump with a depression in it or a bag of leather filled with sand, and a small round object to planish the armor on and smooth it out. As you might suspect, the real difficulty is making sheet metal. Make a pattern from a piece of cardboard, checking its fit on the wearer. In an AtE setting there will be metric tons of usable steel sheet for plate armor. Cut with a hammer and chisel, shape it, then add straps and buckles, etc. Adding fluting, for instance, simply requires a length of metal rod which you form into a shape you want and then place under the armor piece. You then hammer the plate to shape it to fit the rod beneath. You can harden and temper it if you want, but frankly even real medieval armor was seldom of such uniform quality.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote