View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #60
B9anders

Default Re: Psionics in 4th Ed: I'm not getting it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Disclaimer: As the author and an employee, I'm automatically biased in what I'm about to say. Doesn't mean it's not genuine and sincere advice, though.

I'd strongly recommend checking out GURPS Psionic Powers. It was written specifically for both the "I find psi confusing" crowd and the "I liked the power/skill approach of 3e" crowd. It is 100% GURPS/4e, but done in a way that those who used the old psi system seem to understand much better. Every significant ability comes in power levels and has an associated skill -- and if you're skilled enough, you can even learn to bend the rules in fun ways.

Hit e23 and look at the free preview -- or see if your FLGS has a physical copy in stock to flip through.

And if you like it, buy it, and still want something to make psychic character creation even faster and easier, GURPS Psis (a book of templates, "grab-n-go" premade packages of Psionic Powers, and character creation advice) is coming out pretty darn soon.
With apologies to the reverend, I would nevertheless argue that if this is a case of 'I'm confused about psionics' moreso than 'I want 3rd edition psionics' then, as much as I like Psionic Powers, I would have to recommend Powers as the first book to get.

It adresses pretty much everything you'd want to know about psionics in 4th edition, provides plenty of sample power groups, how to interpret power modifiers, the distinctions between source and power, etc.

Psionic Powers is basically 'just' certain rules found in Powers applied to iron out a pre-packaged skill-based system reminiscient of 3rd edition. Which, if that is what you want, you should go for, but if you are more interested in really understanding how it all works, Powers is definitely in the first tier of books to get. It's as close as you can get to a 3rd Basic Set rulebook.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote