Thread: Language
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default Language

I don't know why I'm bothering with languages, my preferred settings are SF and universal translators:/
But OCD and maybe it'll be useful to others?
Pyramid #3/44, Colorless Green Ideas Sleep Wordlessly by Roger Burton West, got me thinking (yes, I only read this week - SF, universal...)
It was over my head but I like the Script Perk. I don’t like Language being 3 levels but I don’t want to add extra costs just for language. So, full language plus Script for [6]?
I remembered seeing something about time to learn languages eg simple 200, complex 800 hours. Then I find this article (US foreign service?) rating languages by complexity and language ability as 5 levels; basic level 480-720 hours study. Fits so nicely; real world translation into GURPS model easily; generic fiction modelling simplified. Use CGISW for RL guidelines script Perk.
Except it works perfectly for the “Easy” languages; the more complex languages can take up to 50% longer.

• Easy: English(?), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili
• Average: Bulgarian, Burmese, Greek, Hindi, Persian, Urdu
• Hard: Amharic, Cambodian, Czech, Finnish, Hebrew, Hungarian, Lao, Polish, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
• VHard: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean

Table [as usual, I've forgot how to make it pretty:/]
Lang Ability Easy Average Hard VHard
Broken 1 1 1 2
Basic Fluency 2 2 3 3
Accented 3 3 4 4
Prof. Fluency 4 5 5 6
Native 5 6 7 8

5 levels of proficiency:
1. Elementary proficiency. The person is able to satisfy routine travel needs and minimum courtesy requirements.
2. Limited working proficiency. The person is able to satisfy routine social demands and limited work requirements.
3. Minimum professional proficiency. The person can speak the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social, and professional topics.
4. Full professional proficiency. The person uses the language fluently and accurately on all levels normally pertinent to professional needs.
5. Native or bilingual proficiency. The person has speaking proficiency equivalent to that of an educated native speaker.

Comprehension Levels?
Penalty to language dependent/ artistic skills
Broken -3/-6
BasFlu -2/-4
Accented -1/-2
ProFlu 0/-1
Native...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote