View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Sindri

Default Re: Obscuring a Setting's Descent from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
The key, as you pointed out, is to file off all the serial numbers. All proper names for places, people, cultures, religions, and languages need to be changed.

People speak 'Basic' or 'Common', worship gods with unfamiliar names, go to the city NOT called London2.
Indeed. An interesting challenge to my mind is that there are some things, for example religion, that are very resistant to having names associated with them change. I'm not sure how plausible it is for the name of the god a group worships to change at some point. It might be necessary to have new religions descended from the old to get that.

Quote:
The fact that the people act like modern or historic humans is unremarkable in most settings; Authors and settlngs-makers usually draw on what the know and switch it up a bit. Players are used to seeing familiar-if-out-of-place elements from actual Earth in their sci-fi and fantasy, even when the settings are supposed to be completely original.
Yeah this depressingly common situation makes my job easier.

Quote:
If you plan to have a 'reveal' later in the campaign, be sure to have an explanation of why everything was lost... "It's been a really long time" or "all the adults died leaving only children to carry on" or "the Dictator and His Evil Police State burned all the books and killed everyone speaking the old names" might work in this trope. Just come up with an idea you like to explain it, Players often enjoy finding the "why"...
I do plan for a reveal to be at least a distinct possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It depends how much science the PCs can apply. For example, if the people in the setting were interfertile with Earth humans, I'd require a great deal of evidence before changing my opinion that we had common ancestry.
There's an implicit assumption here that is incorrect. The characters will be natives and will be staying within their own context. It's disguising it from the players that is necessary. Players won't immediately jump to a connection with us instead of a subcreation if there aren't proper nouns littering the place that are obvious descendants of modern things.

Last edited by Sindri; 11-10-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote