View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
tbeard1999

Default Re: Capping Attributes for Non-Human Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I had the idea of capping Attributes for different races to give them meaningful limitations. Some examples off the top of my head:

Halflings. Max ST11 (I don't like the idea of them using weapons heavier than a short sword)
Personally, I'd leave them as-is, but it isn't unreasonable.

It would, however, eliminate an early and favorite TFT character, the wizardly swordsman Lars et Karn (nee Barlow Hangbelly; he changed his name to sound more wizardly). Lars spent 4 IQ points to learn the sword talent. Eventually, he wound up with ST13 and acquired a silver, +2 damage bastard sword that was as long as he was. Since this wasn't strictly prohibited by the rules, the GM allowed it. Lars/Barlow eventually retired and bought a bar. "Barlows" is a common tavern in my campaign. The sword hangs across the back of the bar. But I digress.

Quote:
Elves. Max ST13 (No heavy 2 handed weapons)
Dwarves. Max DX16 (Not sure about this one yet)
Lizard Men. Max IN13 (no high level spellcasting!)
Giants. They already have their IN and DX capped at 10 so the "capping" precedent has already been set.
The other adjustments are interesting and might represent reasonable penalties for the benefits these races get. However, they also depend on a specific interpretation of what an "Elf" or "Dwarf" is. Limiting DX for dwarves is tricky because dwarves stereotypically wear heavy armor. Limiting their DX might make them less likely to choose heavy armor.

I am troubled by the fact that some of the non-human races get significant advantages, yet pay no extra cost for them. In my campaigns, I compensated humans with better gear or more money at start. Not an ideal solution though.

This may have been addressed to some degree in the new chargen system.

Halflings get a +3 DX bonus with thrown/missile weapons *and* a +1 damage. They start with 2 less attribute points, though. If they pay the same for extra attributes as humans and if they are limited to 38 points total, I can live with that. I'm not sure that I'd let halflings also get the full benefit of missile weapons and thrown weapons talents, though. And hopefully, the Mark 2D Tactical Nuclear Boomerangs have been eliminated.

Elves get a +2 movement, which is pretty useful in a tactical game like TFT. The -3 DX against crawly things slightly offsets that, but wasn't worth much in my campaigns.

Dwarves get a +1 damage with hafted weapons and can carry twice the weight.

I think that the halfling's special abilities are probably worth 2 attribute points.

The elf's movement bonus is worth *something* but maybe not a whole attribute point. If you think it is worth 1 attribute point, then make elves start with 31 attribute points instead of 32. If the extra 2 movement isn't worth one point, you can eliminate the crawly things DX penalty, and maybe give a +1 to hit with bows. Surely that's worth a point?

Dwarves could have their MA reduced by 2 (short legs). I wouldn't let their MA be reduced below 6 however. That seems like a fair trade for the +1 damage. If you disagree, give them a +1 dmg with hafted weapons. It's tempting to reduce their DX bonus for wearing armor, but that's incredibly potent. Moreso, with the new limits on total attribute levels.

Many, many moons ago, I said <bleep it> and ran a campaign where starting Elves and Dwarves were clearly superior to humans, but only earned 1/2 XP.

So an Elf might start with ST8 DX12 IQ10 and 6 additional points (36 points). He gets a +1 damage and +1 DX to hit with bows, and a +1 when casting illusion or charm type spells.

A Dwarf might start with ST12 DX8 IQ8 and have 7 additional points (35 points). He gets a +1 damage and +1 DX to hit with hafted weapons, and suffers a DX penalty of -4 when wearing half plate, -5 when wearing plate and -3 when wearing fine plate. Dwarves cannot use tower shields however. (I suppose a dwarf version of the tower shield is plausible, but hey, I was rolling). Dwarves can carry twice the normal load per ITL.

This solution is suboptimal unless you're planning to run a long campaign, and the players believe it. In my experience, players are simple creatures who respond to immediate rewards. When *everyone* was an Elf or Dwarf, I knew I needed to do more work.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote