Thread: Missile Spells
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
... I always felt that Missile Spells gave a bit too much "Bang for your Buck" than other spells and often encouraged lazy solutions to problems; "blast the monster!" ...
Hi Chris,
I totally agree. This was discussed before in the TFT thread.

I think capping them at 3 fatigue ST cost (fST) per spell would be simple, easy and fix the problem.

In my campaign, I went for a more complex solution. Wizards could charge them up with 3 fST per turn. But if they took damage while charging the missile spell flew off in a random direction unless the wizard could make a 4vsIQ. If the wizard was knocked down, no saving throw was allowed.

This made powerful missile spells dangerous for the wizard's party and generally added more drama. ("That wizard has been charging the Lightning Bolt for 3 turns! Kill the wizard! Kill the wizard NOW!!!")

Alternately, normal missiles spells, (3 fST power or less), could be powered with fatigue ST, but more powerful ones could be powered with damage like the Death Spell style of spells. Thus you COULD do a big missile spell in an emergency, but it would carry a very heavy cost.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote