View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Not quite getting the arquebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The arquebus takes four turns to ready, because it's clumsy and fired from a stand.

However, that term "ready" is a technical term, far as I understand it, meaning the time to move a weapon from ground or belt to a position to fight. In normal (that is to say, labyrinth and hence abnormal) situations, characters have a weapon readied at all times.

So, suppose a PC is walking around with an arquebus in his hands and finally spots something to shoot. Does he get to shoot on the first turn? That is, is his "readied weapon" readied? Or does he have to deploy his stand, which is what the four turns to ready refers to?

I'm guessing that RAW means if the weapon is not in hands, it takes four turns to ready it for a shot. If it's in hand, then a shot may be immediately taken. I just don't get how that makes much sense if a stand must be set up.

Thanks.
This is my take on firing an arquebus.

Readying an Arquebus

(Already loaded arquebus.)
Turn 1 Put stand on ground
Turn 2 Put gun on stand
Turn 3 Shoulder the gun
Turn 4 Aim

Turn 5 Shoot

Reload & Ready

Turn 1 Take gun off stand
Turn 2 Drop butt of gun to ground
Turn 3 Take out your instruments of loading
Turn 4 Load
Turn 5 Load
Turn 6 Load
Turn 7 Load
Turn 8 Remove instruments of loading

Turn 9 Put stand on ground/steady the stand on ground
Turn 10 Put gun on stand
Turn 11 Shoulder the gun
Turn 12 Aim

Turn 13 Shoot

EDIT: The purpose of the above example was to give a Turn by Turn visual of what might be happening during "Reload" and "Ready".
In "Already loaded Arquebus - Turn 4" and "Reload and Ready - Turn 12" I just put the term "Aim" there as a place holder. Perhaps it could read "finish readying weapon"?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 11-24-2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Clarifying 'aim'
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote