View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
tbone

Default Re: How big is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm afraid I can't tell you that; the Mac OS doesn't seem to offer the option of computing total size for folders.
That doesn't sound right; my mac OS happily reports sizes for a single folder full of files, or a folder containing more folders of stuff, or selections of multiple folders, or whatever. I can see at a glance that my big folder of gaming stuff is tens of GBs, though I'm not sure it's well organized enough to call it all properly gaming-related. So, peeking at some more meaningful totals:

My GURPS folder contains about 900MB of 4E PDF titles. Surprisingly small for so many books, but even some of the big PDFs have pretty small file sizes.

My folder of Pyramid issues is nearly as big, despite being an incomplete collection.

DFRPG titles run a little hefty compared to GURPS books. My folder for the core stuff has 18 titles (including files of the maps and Cardboard Heroes; not including Gaming Ballistic titles), and runs over 300MB.

(I remain amazed that, thanks to cloud storage, there's no groaning bookshelf; all the above is ever-ready on computer, tablet, and phone. What sorcery is this??)

Hey, here's a bonus bit of nerdy: How I've got that GURPS stuff organized on the drive. Mostly by series, with some complications: the folder for Fantasy contains its own Banestorm folder, the folder for Tech books has its own folders for the appropriate flavors of books, and the folders for Backgrounds and Basic each contain a jumble of things.
  • Cardboard Heroes
  • DFRPG
  • GURPS 3E
  • GURPS 4E - Action
  • GURPS 4E - After the End
  • GURPS 4E - Backgrounds
  • GURPS 4E - Basic
  • GURPS 4E - Disasters
  • GURPS 4E - Dungeon Fantasy
  • GURPS 4E - Encounters
  • GURPS 4E - Fantasy
  • GURPS 4E - Horror
  • GURPS 4E - Hot Spots
  • GURPS 4E - Locations
  • GURPS 4E - Magic
  • GURPS 4E - Martial Arts
  • GURPS 4E - Monster Hunters
  • GURPS 4E - Monsters
  • GURPS 4E - Organizations
  • GURPS 4E - Power-Ups
  • GURPS 4E - Powers
  • GURPS 4E - Social Engineering
  • GURPS 4E - Space
  • GURPS 4E - Steampunk
  • GURPS 4E - Tech books
  • GURPS 4E - Traveller
  • GURPS 4E - Vehicles
  • GURPS unofficial
  • Pyramid

Maybe someone else has a more interesting organization system? (Including the ever-popular "one big folder with everything" . . .)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 10-31-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote