View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
larsdangly

Default Re: Hexagram #6 News (Including new add-ons)

The short version is that this game's product line is crushing it, in terms of breadth, creativity, quality and rate of output, in a way that I think might be unprecedented, at least among fantasy roleplaying games.

My 'active gaming shelf' has the core books, several supplements, 14 official adventures (imminently headed toward 24), five official zines, campaign maps, hundreds of MH tiles and markers, hundreds of cards of many types, 7 gorgeous rubber play mats, tons of mapping materials, character folios, numerous organizational boxes and folders of various kinds, a bunch of cool dice and dice bags, and several other doo-dads. Craziest of all, I have used basically all of it at the table with my group (well, zoom enabled group!).

There is a lot of credit to go around, but I think most important has been the sense of editorial restraint and oversight that has prevented it from morphing into a bunch of overly wordy books filled with stuff intended to be read and shelved rather than used in play - the fate of many game lines that are lucky enough to grow this big.

The only real competition I can think of off-hand are the '77-80 run of 1E AD+D core books and pastel modules, and the original run of Runequest boxed sets, but, as amazing as those were, they were much narrower as product lines and took longer to unfold.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote