View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #64
dwalend

Default Re: I was hoping for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
Almost exactly this. We considered the fairest way to resolve this while also taking into account the time it would take to resolve an Overrun combat stage, so we came to the decision that the Defender in Overrun is controlled by the AI.

We'd be keen to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I appreciate it takes some control away from the player, but Overrun could literally take weeks to resolve otherwise, so we thought this to be the fairest compromise.
Before I judge I'd like to just know what the targeting decisions are going to be. Some decisions are easy like: "For identical units, shoot the one with the most movement left first."

Especially in the case of ogres (especially missiles), but also in the case of lots of different kinds of targets I want to control based on context of the whole battle. (Overruns also support combined fire, but the usual answer is one gun per target.) I don't think you can build something that doesn't consider the context of the whole battle and what my objectives are and get it right in these cases. From my work at BAE getting someone to state "what my objectives are" is really hard.

If I can set targeting very precisely then it'd probably be OK for both sides of the overrun to be resolved without the players - not just the defense. (But give us some automation to watch the firefight.) That's probably more realistic in the game, too. In an overrun the field commander doesn't get to point the guns; the tank crews do that.

Last edited by dwalend; 08-18-2017 at 03:03 PM.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote