View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
malchidael

Default Current Play - The Fantasy Trip To GloomHaven part deux

I finally broke down and purchased GloomHaven - which is a fantastic "legacy" tactical fantasy campaign. I actually have minimal intention of playing using the GloomHaven rules, since I have a different set of tactical RPG rules I rather enjoy :)

I pulled three Fighter cards (Jon of the Isles, Mad Olly, and Danira) and created a simple 10/11/10 Wizard (edit: Just realized I shorted myself 1 stat point. D'oh!) to round out my team. I posted earlier with the stats I came up with for the foes for the initial scenario.

Since the game is a "legacy" game, which basically means that you permanently alter the game board as you play, I grabbed the map and sticker sheets, which are posted on BoardGame Geek, printed them out, set up the first scenario, and grabbed dice.

Here is a picture of the first scenario, just before the bloodshed.

We barely won the first fight, then we fled, carting Jon's cooling corpse with us. The dice were reasonably fair, but having three foes with broadswords was just too much damage output for us to soak.

I think I'm going to downtune the baddies just a bit. That does lower the difficulty, but I have a feeling it will be needed.

Gloomhaven uses 1.25" hexes as opposed to the more awesome 1.5" hexes of TFT, and the chambers are small because GloomHaven movement is lower than TFT, but it all seems to work. We shall see what happens as I get to more advanced scenarios.

Last edited by malchidael; 05-26-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Commented on my wizard
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote