View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
Plane

Default Re: can you drop a benefit of an Ally to drop a drawback of a Dependent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Neither of those have to do with the subject of Allies. I don't think wandeirng from the topic will add clarity.
"Favor" is described as being a one-shot Ally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Hordes of zombies should be paid for with CP. For example, Ally (100 zombies; 25%; 15-; Minion, -0%) [54] would be appropriate for maintaining a horde of 100 zombies. The assumption would be that the character is replacing the zombies that they lose to angry villagers, hungry scavengers, and/or outraged priests. Otherwise, zombies created with the Zombie spell do not have any assumed plot immunity as a group and will end up being a mobile buffet for every scavenger nearby.
It seems like there's value in things besides permanent plot immunity, like in buying advantages like Extra Life which you might keep indefinitely until needed but then are gone once you've made use of it.

You can "make use" of a zombie after creating it, even if that might mean they go away later and you don't get a free ally replacement.

So one approach might be to define this as imparting yourself with a "Favor" ally...

One thing I'm not entirely clear with about Favor is how long it's supposed to last. Like 1 session worth of help? Doesn't seem to be a duration for when the debt is considered repaid and you lose the ally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In truth, every crow, drog, insect, rat, etc. in the neighborhood should be stealing pieces off as they can, meaning that the average zombie should really only last for a week before the cumulative damage destroys them. Unless a necromancer is spending time repairing/replacing them, they are probably going to have trouble exceeding 100 zombies. Of course, preparing the bodies beforehand with poison would help mitigate the attrition, but that sort of effort is best represented by the Ally advantage.
I should prob note that when talking about zombie spell I'm not just considering the tasty zombie template but also the skel template which has fewer tasty munchies for scavengers.

Unless I tell a fleshy zombie to lie perfectly still (or maybe they just do that when lacking instructions?) it's hard to imagine that crows/rats would be brave enough to start eating them.

If this does become a problem couldn't you just give them instructions like "grapple and kill any vermin who attack you" ? I just don't know how long an Automaton is able to remember verbal instructions for.

Makes me wonder if disloyalty among automatons is just "I failed to obey master because he was boring so I forgot what he told me". Perhaps disloyalty is just failing to be a cool and memorable master and your minions zone out when you tell them to do stuff, whereas loyal ones you impressed with accomplishments are rapt with attention to your orders and remember what it was they're suppsoed to obey?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote