View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Ailluminus

Default [Thaumatology] Modular Magic

Hi, everyone,

I'm creating a magic system for a game I've been running for about a year; it's a modern-world Wainscot Fantasy based on Gnostic mythology, modern conspiracy theories and a little bit of Mage: The Ascension. To make this work, I need a new magic system: one that slowly ramps up, is usable and thematic.

To this end, I've been creating a new magic system that's similar to Sorcery, but constrained by the Magical Correspondences associated with each character. Those Correspondences... they're flavor, but are essentially a significant limitation in the things the character can influence with this magic based on their magical gimmicks.

The Modular Magic I'm working on breaks down like this:

Modular Abilities: 2 CP/point, due to casting a spell being time consuming, expensive and subject to interference.

Cosmic: Slotless +50%

Physical and Mental +100%

Focus-Limited: Correspondences -20% (I know this is a little high, but I do want this to be a significant limitation on what they can influence)

Advantages Only -10% (This is supposed to be using skill to change the world, not using magic to gain skills, though that might be possible through Alternate Form and the like)

Accessibility: Requires Totems and Ritual Kit -30% (Again, perhaps a little high, but I want to make their workings difficult)

Nuisance Effect: Creates Chaos -10% (High again, but Chaos is a stat in the game that can be weird, dangerous and attract the defenders of Causality)

Requires Skill Roll -10% (IQ/H ritual magic practice roll)

Costs WP -20% (I have a WillPower expendable stat based on Will in this game; could be replaced by FP in another game. This is kind of a guess at the expense, as my intent is a Cost of 1 WP / each 10 CP in Advantages acquired.)

Final Cost: 3 CP/point.

Mechanically, I see the magician/PC deciding what they need, performing their 'spell', such as it is, make the IQ/H skill roll, spend the WP and then activate the power as intended. Failure probably results in Backlash and Chaos.

The types of power available I think are going to be pretty generic, limited by Correspondences, such as:

Visualization: Blessing +100% (30, 3 WP)
Visualization: Cursing (15, 2 WP)
Serendipity: Wishing +100% (30, 3 WP)
Oracle (15, 2 WP)
Illusion: Mental +100, Subtle Edits Only -50% (37.5, 4 WP)
Mind Control: Emotion Control -50% (25, 3 WP)
Luck: Emergencies Only -30% (10.5, 1 WP)

More advanced characters will have specific powers that they can engage at additional costs, I intend. For example, a person obsessed with Fire (as part of his Correspondences) might be able to throw a fireball at extreme cost.

So, my questions are:

Does this work? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Should I model Backlash in some way? Should that be shown in the cost? What Limitations should I use?

Does this look fun?

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.
Ailluminus is offline   Reply With Quote