View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Low Tech White Collar Crime

Just had an idea for a big bad evil guy Scheme in a low-tech setting.

The resident bean counter for the king has a scheme set up where he discreetly hired several bandit groups to terrorise particular locations within the kingdom that are of high importance/visibility to the king and those who have his ear.

The kingdom's tensions with a neighboring state are high and the king is hesitant to commit a significant portion of the army to search the countryside for these bandits.

The bean counter (feel free to suggest an appropriate name, I'm just not sure what he would be called), privately suggests to the king that these bandits could be dealt with by establishing an organization that would identify these criminals and contract out bounties with would be adventurers (the PCs).

The twist is a portion of these quests are being issued to lowlifes (Also possibly the PCs) under the table to go out and commit banditry, which in turn justifies additional funding for the agency. At this point the bean counter stops paying the first group of bandits out of pocket and the agency is deemed a success.

The bean counter just continues to embezzle funds while creating enough crime to justify the continued existence of his new comfy position.

Thoughts? am I missing anything, or are there any flaws in my logic?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote