View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #39
Icelander

Default Re: Detection and analysis of jamming by the Coast Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The timescales are probably similar, but the chopper makes it much faster to find out where the jamming is coming from if it isn't Jewell Island. The Coast Guard will regard that jamming as a real problem, because it means people can't make ordinary distress calls. And jammers mean a military or terrorism operation, and they haven't been told about any military operations, so...
I found that there are two 47' MLBs in South Portland and one of them is always kept ready for instant response, usually for a life-saving operation. There is also a 25' Defender B-class RB-S at the ready, with a watch-standing crew.

I found a case where the boats beat a helicopter out of Cape Cod to the scene even when the helicopter was already in the air (it was diverted to the scene). That was a scene close to South Portland, about as far as Jewell Island, and it strongly suggests that the fastest and easiest way to respond in some way to the distress call is sending either of the boats.

The question is, what will a 25' RB-S of the Defender B-class have in the line of communications gear, sensors, CIC or other homeland security / law enforcement stuff that allows them to find, localise and analyze the jamming, as well as checking if there is any sign of a riot, hostage situation or some kind of threat at the asylum?

Can they tell from a distance whether any story the Warden chooses to try to avoid them coming ashore is false?

Quote:
Find out where it is, give them a heads-up, and get crews together for those boats, too.
I expect notifying the crews of USCGC Jefferson Island and Marcus Hanna will be done regardless of anything else. Informing people already out is lot less likely to face scrutiny later or to be called wild alarmism by an annoyed senior officer.

Quote:
It's a pretty good long-range radio system, and may be powerful enough to cut the effective range of that jammer, if they turn off the Automatic Link Establishment, which the jammer will be upsetting.
Would they be condtantly trying to reach Agent Banks and O'Toole on the DHS radio network frequency as well as the Coast Guard emergency frequency that O'Toole used?

Quote:
Not from that - that's a web page from their PR department.
Well, it mentions systems that appear to include radio and shipboard C3I, so I was hoping some of the system names told you more than me.