View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #37
Icelander

Default Re: Detection and analysis of jamming by the Coast Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The Coast Guard base is 8 miles away, about 25 times the jamming radius, and only 2.5x the range at which a skill roll is needed. I'd reckon a noise jammer is detectable at least 10x the range where you need a skill roll, probably much more. Selective jammers could be much less detectable, but are also easier to work around.
That's about what I reckoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That depends on what equipment the vehicles have mounted. The command center should have directional aerials, either phased-array or moveable, and will thus be able to get the rough direction of the jamming. Since they had a call that claimed to be from Jewell Island, and that's in the direction of the jamming, the credibility of that call went up noticeably once they noticed the jamming. Sending a helicopter to get a cross-bearing on the jamming to confirm it is from Jewell Island won't take long. Then it's time for the Warden to answer difficult questions, or things get exciting.
Sounds right.

Here is a pretty good overview of what the USCG Northern New England Sector has.

The helicopters appear to be all located at Cape Cod. Would it be quicker to spin up one from there and fly 60 miles or man a 47' MLB or a 25' Defender class boat to motor eight miles and check things out?

For that matter, the USCGC Jefferson Island (WPB 1340), a 110' Island-class patrol boat has a home berth in South Portland. If it's not away on patrol somewhere hours off, it might be available to scoot over to the island. In addition to two M2 machine-guns, it comes with a 25mm autocannon, so it's properly armed. I don't know what the radio equipment is or whether it would add to their data.

Thales HF medium-powered, High-Frequency Automated Link Establishment (HF-ALE) radio communications system tell you anything about the communication capabilities on their cutters?

Or this list of USCG technological projects?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote