View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
robotrevolution

Default Munchkin Tournament Help

Hey, first time posting here because I'm looking for some advice.

I'm running a Munchkin tournament for the local game shop at a big area convention. The idea we had was to run the largest game of Munchkin we possibly could - one table, possibly dozens of players. For every X number of players, we'll add an additional expansion to the game, starting with the core expansions. The winner takes it all.

I've seen threads about limiting tables to six players and competing in rounds, which is a great way to run a tournament, but we really love the idea of a giant Munchkin table with 20, 30, or more players.

A few things I'm thinking of:
- two or more players take turns at the same time, which would work well with the next item
- sphere of influence: you can only affect players a certain number of seats away from you (3 on each side, for example)
- go below level 1 and you're out (though this could reduce the fun factor)
- play for exactly 1 hour, plus enough times around the table so everybody has the same number of turns

I like the idea of multiple players going at once, which would increase the action, though it could also increase confusion. With a sphere of influence, however, it may not be too difficult to set up, especially if we use totems or some other large object to denote which players are taking their turns. The totems would only pass to the next player when everybody is done with their turn - kind of like the dealer button in poker games.

EDIT: To be clear, something along these lines (imagine the straight line is a group of players sitting around a table):
P1-off
P2-on
P3-on
P4-on
P5-ACTIVE PLAYER
P6-on
P7-on
P8-on
P9-off
P10-off
P11-off
P12-on
P13-on
P14-on
P15-ACTIVE PLAYER
P16-on
etc

Any thoughts or suggestions? We really want this tournament to go well and I'm looking for ideas, since we've never run a Munchkin tournament this big before. Thanks very much!

Last edited by robotrevolution; 10-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.
robotrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote