View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #4790
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The dawning of the enlightenment and the renaissance, and in turn the industrial revolution, were both fundamentally unlikely events. Homeline knows that their region of the cosmos has a preponderance of ones where Europe escaped the medieval cycle, but there are others.

I'm wondering what some worlds would look like where the enlightenment was delayed by centuries. If, even 500 years later, the industrial revolution has yet to arise.

Most distinctly, it seems to me that colonialism, as a practice if not an ideology, would emerge only to wither away. Though, I suppose that in practice we might see more migration rather than colonies.

The Middle and Far East both had high population densities and trade networks, so it's plausible that they would take the place of Europe, but I'm more interested in worldlines that aren't simply Our History, But and Arabic-Speaking New World.
Part of the problem there is that, until the Ottoman State was in total collapse, almost all Muslims saw emigrating out of the " Dar-al-Islam" into the "Dar-al-Harb" as a profound sin. You'd need to change things before " The Incoherence of the Philosophers" was written. Get rid of that trash book and it's vile influence and Islam is radically changed. However, not in ways that fit your concept.

Unless you radically change Islam and/or Arab culture you might get an Island or two, but Arabic new world is right out.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote