View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #57
Tomsdad

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'll need to look at this and some previous drafts. Originally, I had crouching effectively lower your SM by one, and kneeling by two. That would make a three-quarter height posture more accurate. But when crouching, you're at -2 to hit, rather than -1, with ranged weaponry (p. B551), and that makes the lower limit and game effect of a crouch equivalent to half-height.

I'm sure we settled on half-height to match the -2 in the posture table, but in reality, a crouch seems to be "a variable amount of knee bend that impairs mobility and reduces target signature."
And to go back to the OP, I think you don't need to be at half height to reach the ground, as pretty much all the height reduction is going to go on at shoulder level or lower meaning your arms will enjoy all the benefit. The only way to reduce your overall height with out lowering your shoulders is to just duck you neck, now you're limited by the length of your neck if you want to keep your eyes forward, you could roll you entire head down and end up looking directly down, but I don't think we considering this here!

Overall I agree with the points made that Standing, crouching, kneeling sitting, crawling & lying are not distinct and absolute things here, but rather each represents a range of positions that together make up a continuous range from standing to attention down to avoiding lightning bolts in a shallow ditch.

However the description of that range for crouch (and by inference standing) given by Kromm seems to be very narrow., and as you say doesn't match up with the other rules.

Cheers

TD

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote