View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #52
corwyn

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The by-the-book rules make it a two-second process:

Second 1: Assume a kneeling posture next to the item. This calls for a Change Posture maneuver. See p. B383. While kneeling, you may try any defense at -2, but since you don't have the weapon yet, you can't use it to parry.

Second 2: Ready the item while standing up. This calls for a Ready maneuver. Per p. B366, no roll is required to pick up a weapon that's just sitting there . . . just say "I pick it up." Per p. B364, you may stand up as the "step" part of your Ready. At this stage you're standing and have full defenses, and can parry with the weapon you just readied.

Only bother with rolls to grab an object when it's a moving or resisting foe, or when you're in close combat and need to roll vs. DX to get your hand in the right place (p. B391). But 95% of the time, you'll just go "I Change Posture next to the sword. I stand up and Ready the sword."
Is this by-the-book using just the basic set, or basic set + martial arts?; because it doesn't jive completely with either as I read them.

BS only: pg 368 says you can step to change from a standing position to a kneeling one, and vice versa, so that would be Step and Ready, kneel and ready weapon (and you would be able to parry with it, though at a penalty for kneeling), then Step and Attack, stand and attack if target is within reach.

Martial Arts: pg 104 says 2 ready actions, one to pick up weapon (confirming the above step and kneel), another to ready it for combat. I also just noticed that there's where the DX/Fast-draw roll at -3 comes from; to ready it for combat as one ready maneuver.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote