View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #36
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Low Tech vs Basic Weapon Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
The other circumstances in which I'd say "use Basic Set" is if it's accepted that members of your group should or will all own the system core books, but buying supplements is entirely optional (and people make up their own character sheets).
You could even go with "The subject in question is not predicted to be sufficiently important to this campaign to warrant using the greater details in supplement X".

A lot of games (or gamers) wouldn't invest enough time and energy in personal combat to profitably use Martial Arts or Tactical Shooting. The armor weights in Basic (or the Shield stats) bother me about as much as thye do anyone but I know people who _hate_ buying equipment and would nt like needing to use Low Tech. A lot of them wouldn't even like the level of detail found in DR by Hit location.

I was dealing with a dubious game system yesterday called "The Strange" which had very generic weapon labels. My character was insisting that his "Heavy Handgun" was a S&W .500Magnum and his "Medium Handgun was a Sig P225 wit aftermarket 20 round magazine. I don't think anyone else at the table understood a word of that but it did help establish my guy as a "gun nut" (and probably dangerous to annoy).