View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #200
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Expert Tailoring, Fluting and Masterful Tailoring at TL8

[QUOTE=Icelander;2159560 Nice. If that works with any kind of armour piece, it seems to me that they could get a full suit of TL8 'Ultra-Strength Steel' and it wouldn't even be that much trouble to make more.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Quote:
I use a more severe variant of the 'Edge Protection' rules
On general principle, I despise EP as too finicky. I don't want to do all the math -- that's the point of the DR in the first place. Ease of use! Second, re: DR, I don't hold that "cutting armor" was as hard as some make it out to be. In real life, if you hold up an fully armored arm and I whack it with a two- handed sword or axe I'll stand a good chance of breaking or dislocating your arm without strictly "cutting it." The cutting damage and bleeding might still exist, depending on the damage to your armor -- and there will likely be some! It depends on what a "point of damage" is.

Quote:
If there were months of painstaking work
If one guy did it buy hand laboriously in the old method in might take that long, but with all the labor saving methods of modern technology we are discussing, and a staff of basically unskilled people overseen by experts I'd surprised if it would take a week.

Quote:
Ballistic testing gives a pretty good idea of how the DR (against piercing only, it is true) for weight and thickness stacks up against the grades of steel alloys given in the armour design articles.
I used in HT, where possible, two checks -- one was actual proof tests against known weapons, and the second, the measurement of the armor. I think any such work should use both. The problem is measuring against a standard sword or axe stroke...
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote