View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Quick question about Infinite Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammocase
Is Infinite Worlds like the show Sliders? Where they have gadgets (as opposed to what I'm doing.. where they just strangely appeared in another dimension with no gadget or equipment) that has them jump into different dimensions? I'm basically wondering if them just appearing into another dimension is possible, I dont want to finish reading Infinite Worlds and find out I dug myself into a hole because i did something not possible in the setting (in this case they just appeared in another dimension and I eventually find out It has to be done with gadgets they triggered or something).

Also, do they have doubles? Like i want to work in the fact their "other" selves from another dimension was on their dimension, and were killed... so now they have to take up their other-selves mission as the Infinity Patrol. Is this possible?
These things are up to you as GM, but are certainly acceptable within the context of the IW cosmology. Travel to other timelines is usually done by device (such as the conveyors used by Infinity and Centrum), innate ability (the Jumper advantage, often psionic in nature in IW), or spell (like Plane Shift). Spontaneous shifting, like you are thinking of, is unusual, but not out of the question. Infinity researchers might suspect one of the characters to be a Jumper, possibly with imperfect control (such as with the Uncontrollable or Unconscious limitations), since natural events with similar effects are usually very noticeable. Appropriate reading might be [references are to Infinite Worlds page numbers, except for the Basic reference for Louis]: Research from p22; Projectors and Conveyors from pp27-30; The Cabal (pp68-69) have a hand in a lot of mysterious goings-on, as well as a different worldview; Parachronozoids (pp73-74) are the kinds of things you might meet in strange timelines; Other Hazards (pp74-80) shows some of the other ways you might end up "somewhere else"; and the details on the Jumper advantage (pp174-175) has some variations specific to the IW setting.

Doubles canonically can exist (see the background for the iconic character Louis d'Antares on B312), though you're only guaranteed to have one if you have the Temporal Inertia advantage. Having doubles of the characters figure into a storyline is quite plausible in an IW game.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote